It’s no news flash that prayer can be tough. Awkward at times. And the whole thing may feel superficial, like wishing on a star, but I promise you, when you get into a routine with it, you will experience its benefits and it will CHANGE YOU. From the inside out. For better or for…TRANSFORMED.
So bear with me today as we sit and contemplate the power of prayer. If you’ve never been a prayER, except in “get out of jail free” type moments, or in attempts at meditation with instead thoughts drifting off to your much needed grocery list, I’d offer a few easy, do-able suggestions to get things started. We will call it Prayer 101..And go with me on this, as I am so on this journey as well.
1) Set aside a time-even 5 short minutes to start to sit and have quiet time with God. Bring your coffee. Bring your I-phone. Bring your attitude. Bring it all. If you can’t spare 5 minutes in the morning, set your alarm to get up early. Make this a priority. It will, I PROMISE, set the stage for the type of day you will have. If you’re a night hawk and can stay up past 9:45 p.m. (I don’t fall in this category), spend your quiet time before bed.
2) Start with Gratitude. What are the things you are thankful for? Big and small. If you have a hard time finding them, start with the fact that you can sit, in liberty, and freedom, and worship your Maker.
3) Take revenue of your shortcomings from the previous 24 hours. Be honest. Name them. If you feel uncomfortable at this stage with the word or concept of “sin”-start with areas that you consider your weaknesses. Things you struggle with. Even destructive thoughts you have. Less than stellar moments in traffic or at work.
4) Ask for help & forgiveness to start afresh. Believe you’ve received it. Let it go. If you are stuck in a pit of blame, God wants to release you from this. Desperately. Because it infects and affects every future situation you encounter.
5) Ask for what you need. Areas in your life you wish to improve. Character you want to develop. Debts you need to get out of. Job interviews you are getting prepared for. Daycare spots you are looking to find. Direction. Guidance. Decisions. Needed friends. Existing ones. Health. Conflict. Anything and everything that is on your heart. Anything.
6) Thank God for hearing you.
As an aside, don’t worry at all about the how to’s. The concern is with, who you are meeting in prayer. Who are you talking to? If you do this sitting down, standing up, on your knees, in your car, or in the bathtub, it doesn’t matter. The importance is the position of your heart and who you are reaching out to. If you don’t yet know who you are reaching out to, start there. Ask where he is. How he can meet you. Ask him who he is. This can be done silently in meditation, or you can speak out loud. I’ve found over the years, that praying out loud (as if speaking to a friend) is the best way that I connect and feel heard by God (and it keeps me from drifting off about grocery lists). If you are worried about your husband or loved one finding you alone in a room talking to your self, in fear that you may be shipped off to the nearest hospital, find a time when you won’t be interrupted or self conscious. J
The important thing is to keep making yourself available to Him. Meeting with Him consistently. After all, how could we sustain any of our relationships and friendships if we didn’t talk to the people we love? Lastly, if we want to fall in love with someone, we need to spend time seeking them out and getting to know them too. Jesus frequently spent time in prayer with his father. And, I don't know about you, but I'm guessing if he needed it, then I probably need it as well. Feel free to share your Prayer 101's as well...
~The next morning Jesus awoke long before daybreak and went out alone into the wilderness to pray.~ Mark 1:35

I want to keep making myself available to him. You lay out a very good plan here. Thank you for sharing. I pray it will bless many.
ReplyDelete