October 11, 2013

For when you forget who you belong to...


See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
    your walls are ever before me.
~Isaiah 49:16

“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers”. (Anne of Green Gables)

I’ve gotten away from running lately. Not that I am sitting on the couch eating bon bons…I’ve just had other fish to fry, other activities to tend to. But, as luck would have it, the skies opened up and allowed me to pound pavement yesterday afternoon. And a little piece of heaven joined me that October day, as leaves fell before me pouring like snowflakes, sun beaming on cheeks. Feeling called to lift hands, to drink joy in for the moment, all in. Despite headphones of motivation, I could still hear the crunching, the shuffling of elm leaves parting, making a way, and carving a path down evergreen lane. Inhale, exhale. Breathe….

As the neighborhood worked through confusion of pumpkins and sprinklers, pansies poked heads through piles of brown and orange wonder. Stretching out strength , persevering through covering and today, in this moment, in this place, and in this time, I didn’t feel forgotten. I felt that He had me, all of me. Circumstances, mess, heart strings, doubts, and failure. But here I was safe in it. Held. Covered.

Do you know that he has you? Here in your moment? Whispers of promises, For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)

Inhale. Exhale. Breathe....

“He will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love.”  (Zepheniah 3:17)

Running forward, weary muscles. Sweaty tired forehead....

“I am familiar with all your ways.” Psalm 139:3

Not needing to hide or mask weakness. Broken pieces and cracks let in light, and are His Masterpiece.

“You were not a mistake, for all your days are written in my book.” Psalm 139:15-16

His book, not my book. His good and perfect ways.

And as I run the loop back home, I’m renewed and refreshed and soaked in His love. Held in his hand.  Here He reminds me I’m carved in His palm. My name. My story. From beginning to end. October beauty as backdrop for God’s artistry.










No comments:

Post a Comment