July 11, 2011

Creator



While I’m an out of the box thinker, I’m an in the box do-er.  I follow recipes. I use instructions. I like maps. I’m not a leader, creator, or innovator by any stretch of the imagination, but creative people inspire me. 

My idea of a great afternoon would be spent in the company of an artist. I gravitate towards people who can create, design, invent, and produce.  I admire those who risk by pushing the envelope of life; individuals who cross borders and barriers. Dancers, musicians, artists: creators.  I've never been  much of one myself; coloring outside the lines in my coloring book caused me anxiety. So, in lieu of this apparent deficiency, I’ve fueled my creative side by surrounding myself with other people who come by it naturally, hoping by osmosis that some artistic talent will seep over into my side of the sandbox.

But, at some point it grows old, this coat tail riding.  Recently, I’ve decided it is important to break the chain so I'm attempting to get in touch with my own creative self.  Or at the very least, find if one exists at all.  And God is revealing some pretty amazing things in the process.

The beautiful truth is we are designed by the most creative of them all.   From nature, to wildlife, to our wild lives, we are shown a hint of his creative character.  And the amazing thing is he tells us we are made in his image.  We witness tastes of this-this image bearing -through symphonies, science, and song.  We know it with all of our being when we observe greatness in another.  We are then reminded of the vast array of creative skills he has infused in people for our pleasure and his. 

So, in thinking on this, my scope of what it means to be creative has been expanded.  And no, I won't paint a masterpiece or be scouted in dance, but I am reminded to honor my small creations as something beautiful and God breathed.  And you know what? I already feel more whole.  More myself.  More of God.

Whether it’s through your cooking, your gardening, your artwork, your parenting, your dancing, or your writing, get back in touch with the creative skills God has instilled in you.  They are waiting to be dusted off and danced with.  If you feel they aren’t there, I promise you they are because you are made in His image and like his, part of our character is to create.    He is waiting for your glorious self to color outside the lines.  It's time to get messy.


My heart overflows with a beautiful thought!  I will recite a lovely poem to the king, for my tongue is like the pen of a skillful poet.  Psalm 45:1








No comments:

Post a Comment