October 20, 2011

When she no longer asks for a song...



A former journalist from The Washington Post, became an overnight best-seller with his non-fiction book, “The Outliers”.  Malcolm Gladwell, the author, argues that anyone can become an expert in something if they devote 10,000 hours to the particular field.  He looks at phenomenon of National Hockey League player’s birth dates tending to fall in the earlier months of the year, which lends them overall more practice time than their summer baby counterparts.

I’m telling you this because over the past four years I’ve become an expert. In. The. Song.  “Jesus Loves Me”.  Now, I’m no expert when it comes to music but I can sing renditions never before heard of in this particular tune.  Alto.  Soprano (Nobody said they were good renditions).  Baritone.  Reggae.  Jazz. Hip Hop.  I tease, but ever since I could swaddle my little bundle of joy in a baby blanket, I have sung this to her at bedtime.

As she’s grown out of diapers, and into big girl panties, she asks for it predictably at night before her good nights to the world. “Mommy, Jesus loves me?”  From crib, to grown up bed.  “Mamma, Can you sing Jesus Loves Me?”. And the months and the years continue to pass and you’d think she would want me to mix it up a little.

Trust me.  I’ve tried. 

But, it always comes back to that song.  And the other night, we were rocking and cuddling.  Some of our best moments of the day. Stories read.  Teeth brushed.  Prayers said.  Kisses given.  Blankets tucked. And as her eyelashes spread open, up, she gazed up with her sleepy stare and our eyes met. 

“Mamma, Jesus Loves Me?” 

"How about "Twinkle Twinkle"? "Mary Had a Little...." "Frere Jacques?"  "Baa Baa..."

"No, mommy, Jesus Loves Me!"

It started off being a tired song.  Flat.  Not present… “…this I know…for the bible tells me so….” And then He gripped me.

“Christy, she is not going to ask for a song forever.”

And the breath was taken out of me as my eyes welled up.  Because the thought had never crossed my mind before.  These treasured moments that are such a regular part of our day, and are forever  beautiful and pressed on my heart like cemented hand prints, will some day, become a memory.

This morning, after months and months of sitting adjacent at the breakfast table, she set her plate across from mine. We ate our toast, discussed the day, and I felt like she had already flown a little farther from our nest.

Tonight, I sang, “Jesus Loves Me” and held her oh so tight. For, today, God has us here, and for now, I am so very thankful she still asks for her song.

Today, let's be thankful for our present treasures.  What key moments are you thankful for?
 ~"...always be thankful."~
Colossians 3:15


6 comments:

  1. Where is that box of kleenex? Nice one Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it's those moments that God uses to teach us the deepest currents of truth..."she's not going to ask forever." So true. How perceptive of you to notice her small moves toward independence: across the table quickly becomes down the street, over at a friend's house or out with her boyfriend. Sing it loud and often, mommy-- those simple words will guide her life and protect her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moments like that will snuggle close to your heart for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the sweetest thing I've read.

    So many key moments, but as of late cooing with our grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very sweet; thanks for sharing on BF... I will have to remember that the next time I'm asked to play yet another rendition of princesses - they grow up so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a mother whose children have long flown from my nest, your title caught my breath...how I miss those days! Keep singing, Christy!

    ReplyDelete