Truth be told, I’m supposed to be writing a paper that’s due tomorrow. Maybe its procrastination or perhaps it is something that just needs to be put out there to reach at you and grip you as it did me last Sunday. I want to share with you a treasure I’ve tucked away in my pocket, and will be adding to a sacred collection of God inspired nuggets. That from time to time need to be dusted off, admired, and cherished. Taken out and raised so as to allow the Son to shine in its transluency. Especially when the going gets rough and tough. You know, when life and stuff happens.
There are a handful. Okay, more a trunkful, of Christian”y” jargon”y” terms out there that church folk can exchange in conversation like nobody’s business; but lay folk are left scratching their heads at. As recent years have passed, I’ve learned the church language, and can even act as a translator for people who need to be clued in on such words as “testimony”, “abiding”, and “bearing fruit”.
A word I’ve heard over the years, amongst different denominations, is referred to as conviction. And while I’m by no means an expert, it has much to do with what can be referred to as a healthy dose of guilt to rein in what is unhealthy or harmful behavior to one self or others. Essentially it’s the Holy Spirit’s kick in the pants to get back on track and get right with God. Commonly referred to as sin-it’s God’s way of pointing it out in our lives-not to humiliate or chastise us or otherwise make us feel terrible about ourselves-but because He knows what’s best for us, and has an even grander path to walk us down than we could ever dream up on our own human accord. He is constantly, and in our best interest, refining our character. Think a parent’s love for their child and the whole need for discipline. He brings us back. He reins us in. He does so, I believe, with gentleness and patience. With faithfulness and love so divine and deep, we’d be crazy not to follow Him. He’s the God of second chances and He’s not left us alone on this planet without His spirit to guide us, His people to commune with, His words to glean wisdom from, and His prayer to bask in. (I'm so tempted to say, can I get an AMEN? But I digress...)
I get that. I’ve experienced conviction, and I’d much rather take His hand and trust His lead in my life.
And then there is condemnation. Condemnation is not of God and is harmful and damaging to the very heart He's entrusted us with. It weighs heavy. It enslaves. It shackles. It buries. It tricks. It steals. It destroys. All of these things are not conducive to Jesus bringing freedom, being light in darkness, and setting captives free. None of it. In fact, I think it pains and grieves His heart when we are in that place, set apart from Him, being kept from all he has for us and what he wants to speak into our lives. It grossly muddies our perception of God.
So, I’ve been thinking about conviction vs. condemnation. Thank you dear Sunday pastor. It’s helped reignite some passion in an area of my heart that needed some light this week. “God will convict, but he will never condemn.” “Exchange your, ‘God who enslaves’ for a ‘Lord who Loves’.” I hope you are encouraged too. Walk freely my friend.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus
~Romans 8:1

Christy, thanks for this post. The Holy Spirit is the author of conviction, but the devil is always behind condemnation . So grateful for the cross!
ReplyDeleteWonderfully said! Condemnation keeps us in our sin, whereas conviction lifts us out of our sin. The devil wants nothing more than to keep us in condemnation and steal God's best for our lives.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this wonderful post. You're a great writer.
Blessings to you:)
Great writing, as usual Christy! Someone once told me that while we often think of conviction as a negative thing, it is just the opposite. It is there for our protection. The same person said that feeling the Holy Spirit's conviction is a sign that our hearts haven't become hardened. The important thing is to pay attention to conviction early on, and alter your course quickly! Since I have applied this idea of conviction to my own life, it has been so beneficial to me. Equally important is not letting ourselves be stuck in condemnation, as the two previous posters say, condemnation isn't from God!
ReplyDeleteI love this post, Christy! I love how you write.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first got saved, I could not understand "condemnation". For months, I sought The LORD to understand Romans 8:1. I can remember where I was when The Holy Spirit opened up my understanding.
And in understanding, shakles were broken off me!
Hallelujah!