November 17, 2011

Slippery Slopes


Being a Social Worker by profession and education has landed me in the world of the “grays”.  There is little to be found, at least in my 9 to 5 world, that exists in the simplicities of black and white.  Situations; no people, are muddled and complicated. There are layers upon layers of seeming truths, and everyone’s perspective, be it at times, vastly different, can oddly be equally valid. I’ve become comfortable in the land of the grays. Accepted it. Expected it.  Even embraced it.

But, I can emphatically tell you that there is one particular area in my life that fits nicely smack dab on one end of my black and white continuum and is unlikely to shift or progress anytime soon.  I will let you in on a secret friends:  I absolutely, unconditionally, passionately detest down-hill skiing.

And for those avid skiers who are preparing to send me their top ten tips of how they came to grow and love the sport, I will save you the energy and tell you, I’ve tried.  I really, truly have given it my best shot. But, alas, have come to terms with our incompatibility, and we have sadly broken up once and for all. It was time.  My friends knew it and deep down, I knew it.  We were wrong right from the start. And it’s best we went our separate ways.  The downhill skiis and I.

When I tell you I gave it my best shot, I really mean it.  At least a dozen times, maybe more I gave it the old college try.  I paced myself.  First, bunny hills.  Even lessons.  Stretching.  Psychological preparation.  Positive self talk.  Letting go and Letting God.  Becoming one with the breeze.  One with the mountain. Loosening the grip of control.  Only to once again, tumble, no, roll manically, forcefully, down an unfriendly mass of snow, all while losing a pole,  as well as the steadying piece of fiberglass that was to be faithfully linked to my boot. An ungraceful, tense, mascara-ed snow monster.  This is me on a mountain.  Just thinking of these moments, once again causes my blood pressure to rise.

So, why do I tell you my snow tale woes? Well, because I was reminded recently once again of this whole idea of being on slippery slopes.  And I'm not talking athleticism here.  I’m talking about those black diamonds you know you can’t go down.  The dangerous ones.  The mogul filled ones. The dead end ones.  The ones that can leave you in a broken heap with a busted rib on the side of a cliff.  Ones where you may have already collided with a tree, and had the rescue team come up and find you.  You know the ones I’m talking about.  The slippery slopes we just shouldn’t go down.

And the trickiest ones aren’t even the ones in the physical realm.  They’re the mental battles that play on our thoughts and emotions.  Thoughts that can enslave us.  Bring us down.  Tear us up.  Often we don’t even recall riding up in the chair-lift to start the descend.  Mostly we didn’t even intend to be on the hill in the first place.  But, then we find ourselves here, mid way through, air so frigid, eyes burning. Jaw clenched, poles gripped so tight it hurts to loosen.  Legs unsteady. Balance off. Shuddering in fear at the stream of bumps and crevices up ahead.  Knowing we will get hurt if someone doesn’t take us off  immediately.

Are you on a slippery slope? We’ve all been there haven’t we and it can be terrifying and discouraging trying to get off. If you are on one,  God urges you to lean in to him as He gently takes you down.  He invites you to listen, really listen to the mountains He wants you to stay off.  The ones that will hurt you.  The ones that will take you down.  He has your best interest at heart and is fully committed to your walk with Him and this includes your running and your skiing adventures.  While he wants you to always stretch, grow, and be challenged, He knows what is harmful to you, what will stunt you, what will ultimately only injure your beloved heart.  There are a team of rescuers waiting to take you down, and the most beautiful Savior back at the lodge who longs to sit with you and unpack the mystery of the mountains. Be encouraged. 

~But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience and God is faithful.  He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it.  When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give into it.~
Corinthians 10:13

4 comments:

  1. Great post Christy! I hate downhill skiing too! I tried when I was younger and just could not get the hang of it! Nope it's not for me...and neither are the mind games that come from slippery slopes thinking! Love it!
    Blessings
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful way to start my day.i agree.it is very easyto think negatively especially if one grew up with such thinking patters but at times take a decade get out from it.i am glad i already started and one of the things i handed down to my kids.and its returns are numerous,from a simple thought a person can brightens one day and bring a smile to a sd face.it makes life not just bearable but a better place to live in.thank you for such wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This resonates with me today. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete